One Of Us Is Lying
Author: Karen M. McManus
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Genre/Themes/Demo: YA, Contemporary, Mystery
Release Date: May 30th 2017
Page Count: 361
Format: Audiobook via Overdrive
Pay close attention and you might solve this. On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention. Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule. Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess. Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing. Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher. And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app. Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention, Simon’s dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn’t an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he’d planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who’s still on the loose? Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.”
Initial Post Reading Thoughts
I won’t lie, when I picked this one up I wasn’t too confident that I would enjoy it. What made me want to pick it up in the first place was that it was compared to The Breakfast Club, but with a murder-mystery twist. I actually ended up loving this one a lot more than I thought I would!
- I’m always here for anything compared to The Breakfast Club, but with a little dash of murder mystery
- I won’t lie, I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would
- I definitely did not see the ending coming, the reveal was actually quite a surprise!
- This story has multiple perspectives which is always my favourite thing when it comes to mystery/thriller-type novels
- audiobook = different narrators which helped differentiate the characters from one another
- the characters themselves were all relatable and likeable in their own ways
- I’ve heard that Karen M. McManus will be releasing another YA book of similar nature very soon and I’m very eager to read it!
About The Author
Karen M. McManus is the New York Times bestselling author of the young adult thriller One of Us Is Lying, which has been translated into 37 languages worldwide. Her second book, Two Can Keep a Secret, will be released in February 2019. Karen lives in Massachusetts with her son. She holds a master’s degree in Journalism from Northeastern University, which she mostly uses to draft fake news stories for her novels. You can find Karen at @writerkmc on Twitter and Instagram.
One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus was the teen #IndigoStaffPicks for the month of May! For more photos like this, follow @bigcitybookworm on instagram!
Thank you for reading!